Edward B. Mann and Richard Johnson become partners in Knoxville’s first formal undertaking establishment known as Mann and Johnson at 98 Gay Street. Shortly afterward, they merge with L.C. Shepard who was Knoxville’s oldest resident undertaker and was noted with conducting the funeral of President Andrew Johnson in 1875.
1892:Mr. Shepard and Mr. Johnson have retired. The firm became known as E.B. Mann Undertaking Company.
The firm’s hearse fleet is pulled by a team of white Arabian horses. They become a community treasure and are later purchased by actor Douglas Fairbanks and star in the movie “The Thief of Bagdad.”
Arthur G. Mann becomes the owner of the company upon the passing of his father. He establishes the first Knoxville funeral home to offer motor car service to client families.
1923:Frank L. Rose joins the staff of E.B. Mann Undertaking Company after his service as Sergeant of the Infantry in World War I, and after graduation from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science.
1924:Arthur Mann builds a landmark modern funeral home on the West Church Street site of the former J. Allen Smith residence. The business name is changed to Mann Mortuary.
1930-1960:For generations, the Mann Mortuary continually improves its services and facilities, expanding the comforting parlors and chapels, adding covered parking, and employing professionals who share his commitment to attentive, compassionate service.
1932:Frank Rose opens the Frank L. Rose Funeral home at Grainger and North Fourth Avenue.
Mr. Rose’s success requires the acquisition of a larger funeral chapel facility.
1938:Fred Rose graduates from Gupton-Jones College of Embalming and Robert Rose becomes a licensed funeral director. Both sons join their father in the funeral business.
1945:The third generation of the Mann family joins the Mann Mortuary. Arthur H. Pickle, son of Helen Mann Pickle, becomes secretary of the company.
1947:Mr. Rose builds a new chapel and renames his business. It is now the Rose Mortuary.
1960:The new Mann Mortuary chapel in Bearden is opened, serving families in expanding neighborhoods.
1970:Due to declining population in Knoxville’s downtown areas, the Mann family closes the iconic Church Avenue chapel.
1984:Fred Rose welcomes Robert Starkey and Kent Marcum as partners into his business.
1986:Rose Mortuary had outgrown the Broadway facilities and the need for a second location was evident. Fred Rose, along with Mr. Starkey and Mr. Marcum facilitated Rose Mortuary to enter into a lease with the funeral home property known as Highland Memorial Funeral Home located at 5315 Kingston Pike near Highland Memorial Cemetery in Bearden which became Rose Mortuary Highland Chapel.
Arthur Pickle becomes sole owner of the Mann Mortuary. To reflect the company’s long tradition of community service, the name is changed to Mann’s Heritage Chapel
1996:The Rose Mortuary Highland Chapel property was sold by its owner to a conglomerate and the lease between Rose Mortuary and Highland Memorial was severed.
To continue the family’s commitment to service, Mr. Pickle merges the firm with the Rose Mortuary. Today, the company is one of the oldest businesses in the city, and one of the largest independent funeral homes in the state.